New Zealand!!
This trip was a year in the making! It started with a big group of us wanting to run the Hobbit Half Marathon, but it ended up being just us and another couple which honestly ended up being perfect.
One of the best things about traveling from HawaiĘ»i to New Zealand is that it’s basically the same time zone just a day ahead! So, we didn’t have to worry about jet lag. We spent one night in Auckland at a slightly sketchy motel. Our keys were just left right outside the door, which didn’t feel very safe. On top of that some hooligan had his car speakers blasting some heavy beat down the street. It kept us up all night! That's what ya get for being on budget! I was glad I had my ear plugs.
My first impression when we landed in Queens town was that this part of New Zealand looked a lot like Park City. The mountains had that same rocky look with pine trees and snow at the top, fancy outlet-style shops, clean streets, and beautiful buildings. We felt right at home. I’ve missed mountains like this.
We decided to head to Queenstown first, and our very first adventure was BUNGEE JUMPING!
I’ve had a fear of bungee jumping my whole life. Seeing people do it on The Amazing Race would scare me just watching. I always told myself I would never bungee jump. But after learning that bungee jumping was created in Queenstown and realizing I was flying all the way there I decided it was time to face my fear. I spent almost a year mentally preparing myself, telling myself I would jump the second they said “go” and not hesitate.
We decided to head to Queenstown first, and our very first adventure was BUNGEE JUMPING!
I’ve had a fear of bungee jumping my whole life. Seeing people do it on The Amazing Race would scare me just watching. I always told myself I would never bungee jump. But after learning that bungee jumping was created in Queenstown and realizing I was flying all the way there I decided it was time to face my fear. I spent almost a year mentally preparing myself, telling myself I would jump the second they said “go” and not hesitate.
I did a tandem jump with my friend Ellie, which was honestly the best way to do it because we didn’t want to let each other down. We did a short zip ride first to warm up, but it definitely wasn’t the thrill we were expecting. Ellie and I went first, and I was shocked when I saw that they secured us with only a towel and rope tied around our legs—apparently how the original bungee jumpers did it. We were only secured to each other by the towel in-between our legs and our thumbs which we tucked into each other's belt loop. Talk about a thrill!
As we were gearing up, we watched people casually stepping off the platform with no hesitation or fear on their faces, like it was completely normal. We were next to one guy from Utah! We yelled "yeah Utah" right when he jumped! I will say the experience itself was super smooth, and the staff made me feel very comfortable. Once we were tied together, we were up on our way to the front of the platform!
Ellie had a slight freak-out before we stood up, but since we were already attached, I told her we could do it. We walked to the edge, waved to the camera, and the second they said “go,” we stepped off.
That initial step was hands-down the scariest thing I have ever done. But once we were free-falling, screaming, and weightless, I felt a rush of adrenaline and pure life. I’ve never felt more alive. After the first bounce, Ellie and I were screaming, hugging, and hyping each other up, so proud of ourselves for doing it. It felt incredible to face that fear. I don’t feel like the same Mallerie I was before I truly feel like I can do anything now. I am so glad I didn't let fear hold me back.
They had a shirt in the office that said “I almost bungeed,” and I was so glad that wasn’t us. We proudly bought shirts that said “I bungeed!” Since Ellie and I went first, we got to watch the boys jump without fear. Gavin did a perfect swan dive, and John copied him.
After bungee jumping, we went into Queenstown to eat at Fergburger, which was highly recommended by friends. That night, we took a beautiful gondola ride up the mountain. Up top we got to do the luge track three times! We had so much fun racing each other down the mountain. Gavin and I caught some air on the humps, and we were close to getting the wind knocked out of us! I was the fastest racer beating everyone our last ride.
The next morning, we started with a gorgeous hike around Queenstown. It’s definitely an outdoor-lover’s town. I’m glad we did the loop in reverse so the best view was at the end. There were endless hikes to choose from. Then we started our long drive to Te Anau for Milford Sound. I didn’t realize “spread out” New Zealand was. I mean we were driving through vast open fields for hours but the views were stunning: rolling hills, cows, mountains, and wide open landscapes.
After arriving in Te Anau, we enjoyed the lake at sunset before calling it a night. The next morning’s drive to Milford Sound was one of the most beautiful drives I’ve ever done. Snow-capped peaks, tall grass below, and endless pull-offs for photos. The boat tour itself was relaxing and beautiful. We went on a sunny day, so while there were fewer waterfalls, we could see all the peaks. I packed tons of warm clothes, but the weather ended up being perfect.
Between the two-hour drive there, the tour, and the two-hour drive back, it was a full day. That night, we made dinner at our little Airbnb.
The next morning started with Miles Pies New Zealand’s famous meat pies. Flaky crusts filled with chicken and cream, beef and potatoes, sausage, and even fruit. Absolutely divine and so affordable.
Then we drove to Mount Cook, the part of the trip I was most excited for. Hiking and mountains are my happy place. We arrived just in time to do the Red Tarns Track, a short but steep climb with incredible views of the valley and Mount Cook.
That evening, we headed to Lake Tekapo for some fish and chips at the lake! We strolled around the cute shops that evening. It felt like many people working on the South Island weren’t locals. Lots of seasonal workers from Asia which was interesting. We also couldn't believe how blue the lakes are here. The most blue I have ever seen.
The next morning was our big Mount Cook hike. We woke up before sunrise to hike Sealy Tarns, and I’m so glad we did. the early morning meant we were hiking in chilly weather till the sun came out. We reached the top just as the sun crested the mountains. It was quiet, peaceful, and absolutely stunning. One of the most beautiful places I’ve ever seen. We could have stayed up there for hours enjoying the view. It was unreal. I had to take a million photos because I really couldn't believe what I was looking at. On the way down, crowds were pouring in, many already exhausted after 10 minutes of hiking.
Afterward, we had PB&J sandwiches before heading to Hooker Valley for a short glacier walk. By then it was packed it felt like Disneyland. I was grateful the park was free and, I was glad I had my glasses because the sun was so bright reflecting off the mountains. Had to protect my “retina.”
That night we shopped, had Pad Thai, ate great fish and chips, and even saw the southern lights one evening above the church.
The next day we drove to Christchurch, stopping to hike Devil’s Punchbowl and see Castle Hill, where Narnia was filmed. The drive felt quick with all the stops—ice cream, hiking, photos. Ellie and I rode in the back while the boys shared driving duties.
Our stay in Christchurch was… rough it was on Bealy avenue. The Motel was dingy, with white paint covering anything that needed to be replaced. I mean Yima hima we wanted to spend as much time away as possible. The bright florescent lights and creepy carpets made me want to keep my shoes on. The check-in process was odd, they did not want to be bothered. Thankfully, we had booked a hot pool experience, so I didn’t have to shower there.
Christchurch was described to us as the “New York City of New Zealand,” but it felt more suburban. We did find a couple of great food halls, though. My mac and cheese choice wasn’t the best, but Ellie’s brisket burger looked amazing.
The next morning, we went on an alpaca tour and lucked out with crystal-clear weather. We spent the morning cuddling, feeding, and taking photos with alpacas including a baby born the day before and one with wild teeth. Easily one of the cutest parts of the trip.
After that, we headed to the North Island. Before the Hobbit Half, we decided to raft the Kaituna River, home to the world’s highest commercially rafted waterfall. I was nervous especially after watching videos of rafts flipping and people being under the falls for 30 seconds before resurfacing. But I reminded myself I was “new me” post-bungee. We flipped, but everyone made it out safely and without injury. Another adrenaline-filled win.
We stayed in a cozy cabin in Rotorua while it poured rain for two days. We watched The Hobbit to prep for the race. I fell asleep and woke up asking what happened to “Bobo”… clearly not a superfan.
We also visited the famous glowworms. It was cool, though not quite the highlight people hyped it up to be. Still worth seeing, just maybe not worth the price. We weren't sure! We did over find some natural hot springs to swim in during the light rain. It was crazy that the water is naturally warm like a bath. But yikes the sulfur smell was strong. We couldn't last more than 10 minutes with out feeling like were bathing in rotten eggs! We also had lovely plant lunch made by one of the locals that knows Gavin! He was the sweetest man and who wished we were there long to play ball with him because of our height.
We also visited the famous glowworms. It was cool, though not quite the highlight people hyped it up to be. Still worth seeing, just maybe not worth the price. We weren't sure! We did over find some natural hot springs to swim in during the light rain. It was crazy that the water is naturally warm like a bath. But yikes the sulfur smell was strong. We couldn't last more than 10 minutes with out feeling like were bathing in rotten eggs! We also had lovely plant lunch made by one of the locals that knows Gavin! He was the sweetest man and who wished we were there long to play ball with him because of our height.
Race day finally arrived. We were able to sleep in since the race started at 2 PM. The start line was filled with LOTR costumes—Gandalf, Gollum, Orcs. The course was beautiful, hilly, and magical. Running through Hobbiton was unforgettable. There were food stations everywhere—so much food—and even a swimming hole midway through the race, which was amazing in the heat. Gavin jumped off the high dive and I did the waterslide! I don't even think words can describe the beauty we ran through. One my favorite parts was seeing someone dressed like Gandalf running through the endless rolling hills in front of us. I couldn't believe he ran the whole race with a staff! We almost wanted to do it slower so that we could enjoy beauty!
This was not a PR race, but it was one of the most memorable races I’ve ever done. Gavin even won a prize (a cooler bag).. When they were drawing names for that prize I said "who would want that". Turns out we did. KARMA!
Just like that, our trip came to an end. We drove back to Auckland for our flight home. New Zealand exceeded every expectation. It was more beautiful than I imagined, and I came back as a brave Mallerie!
No comments:
Post a Comment